The Far Rings (Demo)
A downloadable Visual Novel for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Available as download on PC, Mac, Linux.
The Far Rings (Demo)
"Play as Athena, a doctor of mixed heritage torn between two worlds, as she tries to find her true home alongside two possible suitors!"
Summary: Experience an intimate space opera in this Visual Novel with meaningful choices and multiple endings! Play as Athena, a passionate young doctor and sole survivor of a terrible incident.
Three days remain on the trip 'home'—with only the ship's unsettlingly polite captain and a cryptic alien war criminal for company. But is everything really as it seems? Uncover their secrets as Athena decides where she truly belongs.
Made in 48 hours as part of Global Game Jam 2019 with the theme of "What does home mean to you?"
This is a demo and part 1 of a 2-part story. We expect to be finished Part 2 by early March. The full game will feature updated art (full-color backgrounds, updated character sprites, etc.), a 25k script, over half a dozen endings, point-and-click game elements, and 2 CGs.
STAY UPDATED WITH OUR WEBSITE: https://thefarrings.wixsite.com/home
- Heiden - Lead Coder | Lead Writer | Other Games: heiden.itch.io
- Debbie Trader - Lead Artist | debbtrader.com | Twitter: @Ryetaran
- Mira - Co-Artist | Writer/Editor | Marketer
- Liam - Co-Writer | Twitter: @lacthewatcher | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Matt Layman - Programming Help | mattlayman.com | Twitter: @mblayman
- Mike Morton - Composer | Sound Engineer | mortonsoundworks.com | Soundcloud: mortonsoundworks | Twitter: @MortonSoundWrx
- Andy Stark - Composer | Andystarkdrummer.bandcamp.com
- Markell Naylor - Composer | Sound Designer | Instagram: bongo_encore | SoundCloud: bongo_encore
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux|
|Authors||Heiden, Rye, Lac The Watcher, Mira Kim|
|Tags||Dating Sim, Female Protagonist, Futuristic, global-game-jam-2019, Otome, relationship, Romance, Sci-fi, Short, Story Rich|
|Asset license||Creative Commons Attribution_NonCommercial_ShareAlike v4.0 International|
|Average session||About an hour|
1. Click on the download button matching your computer (PC, Mac, or Linux).
2. Extract the zipped folder.
3. Click on the 'TheFarRings.exe' to open the game. :)
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Nice work so far! The art style is really nice (looks very clear and the colors are pleasant) and the story is interesting with the different perspectives involved. If you continue to develop it, it would be nice to have choices more often. Even if some of them don't have long-term effects, it adds some nice flavor and immersion - I really liked being able to choose the little robot's name. :D My favourite choice was the yes/no to listen to the broadcast since it created a branch where I could play it again to explore the other option. (I think in general, being able to choose between locations is nice since it lets you explore what you're currently curious about!)
Since you're planning another part, I think it would be nice if you got prompted to make a Save at the end of this part so your choices could carry over to the next part.
A couple of small things in the options menu: It would be nice with a fullscreen windowed mode (a window covering the whole screen but without the border). And maybe have a brief explanation of the settings if you hover over them or click a little info/question icon - for example I wasn't sure if Auto-Forward Time would be faster or slower if I raised it (am I increasing the speed or the length of time it's displayed?).
Looking forward to seeing Part 2!